Religious Education

THE STORY OF MOSES

Read the Scripture about the Ten Plagues HERE.

If you would like to learn more about the Passover, check out the following website: http://www.togetheratonealtar.catholic.edu.au/explore/dsp-content.cfm?loadref=19

Literacy Activity – Term 2, Week 5

The Passover Festival

Watch the following video clip, by clicking on the link, to discover the beginnings of the celebration of the Passover.

The Passover Festival

Once you have viewed the video clip, post a comment to explain what the Passover Festival is celebrating.

The Last Supper  (Matthew 26:17-30)

17 On the first day of the Festival of Unleavened Bread, the disciples came to Jesus and asked, “Where do you want us to make preparations for you to eat the Passover?” 18 He replied, “Go into the city to a certain man and tell him, ‘The Teacher says: My appointed time is near. I am going to celebrate the Passover with my disciples at your house.’” 19 So the disciples did as Jesus had directed them and prepared the Passover. 20 When evening came, Jesus was reclining at the table with the Twelve. 21 And while they were eating, he said, “Truly I tell you, one of you will betray me.” 22 They were very sad and began to say to him one after the other, “Surely you don’t mean me, Lord?” 23 Jesus replied, “The one who has dipped his hand into the bowl with me will betray me. 24 The Son of Man will go just as it is written about him. But woe to that man who betrays the Son of Man! It would be better for him if he had not been born.” 25 Then Judas, the one who would betray him, said, “Surely you don’t mean me, Rabbi?” Jesus answered, “You have said so.” 26 While they were eating, Jesus took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to his disciples, saying, “Take and eat; this is my body.” 27 Then he took a cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you. 28 This is my blood of the[a] covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. 29 I tell you, I will not drink from this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father’s kingdom.” 30 When they had sung a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives.

Who is Jesus? (Home Task Grid)

Explore the following websites to help you research the place where Jesus lived (The Holy Land):

http://www.biblepath.com/holyland.html

http://www.christianholyland.com/

http://www.biblewalks.com/

Saints Web Quest

Welcome to the 3/4 Saints Web Quest. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to learn what makes a saint and research a particular saint of your choice. Follow the instructions below to get started. Don’t forget to save your work to your network folder after each session.

Step 1: What is a saint? Follow this link http://www.ainglkiss.com/saints/. Read the three sections: What is a saint? What makes a saint? Do we worship saints?

Post a comment at the bottom of this page to define your understanding of what a saint is.

Step 2: Download your recording sheet Click on the link to access the recording sheet that will tell you what information you need to find. You will need to SAVE this file as YOUR NAME_SAINTS NAME in “Saints Research” folder in the 3/4L class folder. e.g. Miss L_St.Mary

Saints Web Quest Recording Sheet

Step 3: Begin your research Not sure what saint to research? Click on this link to find an alphabetical list of all the saints. You might even find one with your name! http://saints.sqpn.com/alphabetical-list/

Once you have decided on your saint click through the following links to find the information you need to fill out in your planning template.

http://saints.sqpn.com/alphabetical-list/

http://www.catholic.org/saints/

http://www.ainglkiss.com/saints/AF.htm

Step 4: Save your work!!! Don’t forget to save your work at the end of each lesson. All planning templates should be saved in the 3/4L folder in “Saints Research“.

on “Religious Education
20 Comments on “Religious Education
  1. Hi Miss Laming,
    My understanding of a saint is a person with the fruits and gifts of the Holy Spirit. They are spirit filled and walk in the footsteps of God and Jesus.
    JuliaK 3/4L

2. Dear Miss Laming,
    my understanding of a saint is that the process of becoming a saint is called canonization. First, the bishop waits a long time after a persons death. Then, a group of people called theologians research the persons life. The person has to have performed two miracles to become a saint.
    From Christian H 3/4L

3. Dear 3/4l,
    Did you know that in the first reading Jesus chose these people do there will and so they became saints? What did you find out that was interesting?
    From Antony B 3/4l

4. To Miss Laming,
    Saints were (and still can be) miracle workers, they healed poeple and were in two places at once. God gave them these gifts so they could help others.
    Angus A 3/4 L

5. Dear 3/4L,
    A saint is a human being just like us but is a true Christian. Saints can do many different things like healing others, working miracles and some can even be in two place at once. God knows all people and decided that these people are worthy of being a saint. God chooses these people because of their actions. To become a saint people have to go through a process called canonization. This process has been used since the the tenth century(900AD). For centuries they had saints but what they had done might of been a myth. This is the reason why her Church changed the rules. Pope John Paul II made it fair for everyone by making big changes. The bishop waits a very long time before the investigation is started. Their lives are looked at and all of their papers are examined. If all of their papers are approved they are then Venerable. After that they have to perform a miracle after death, then they have to perform one more miracle. Then they are canonized, they have become a saint. We do not worship saints. We only worship God, people may have statues of saints but only to remember them, NOT worship them.
    From Fergus C 3/4L

6. Dear 3/4L
    A saint is someone who doesn’t recive worshipness but worships God and Jesus.
    Him or she have done a miracal to prove they should be a saint.God loves everyone in the world
    but cho0ses the people who follow his footsteps to be saints.
    Daniel A 3/4L

7. To Miss Laming and 3/4L,

I understood that we don’t worship a saint, but we worship God and the saints help us achieve that since they were the ones who all their life, have made all their effort to follow the ways of God. They have used courage, wonder and awe, wisdom, knowledge, right judgement, compassion, kindness and the twelve fruits of the Holy Spirit. They must be canonized and beatifed to become a saint.
    Ben H 3/4L.

8. Hi 3/4L,
    We only worship God, but we can pray to Saints. A saint can be someone who has done miracles, has healed people or who could be in two places at once.
    From Samantha 3/4L

9. o 3/4L,
    My understanding of a saint is a person that loves God and trusts other people. They do God’s will and speak God’s words.
    Paulina P 3/4L

10. Dear Miss Laming,
    From this information I got I now know that a saint is someone who commits there life to doing good things and serving God. All saints are holy. Some saints perform miricals, some heal the sick and others even have the ability to be TWO PLACES AT ONCE! Wow!
    Want to learn more about saints
    Antonia T 3/4L

11. hi 3/4L
    I think a saint is a person with the gifts of the Holy Spirit. They are spirit filled and walk in the footsteps of God and Jesus and we do not worship sants god does.
    Ruby F 3/4L

12. To 3/4L
    In just read about the saints.
    A saint is some body who God gave special graces to so they can do thoese special things like heal people or even save some ones life & lose thier own.They have been doing this from the 1oth centrey.Mary became Australias first saint because before she died she did a merical & when she died a lady in hospital prayed for her & is nealy heald.Who is your favourite saint?
    Georgia 3/4L

13. Hi Miss Laming,
    My understanding of a saint is someone who does God’s will and speak his kind words. They are not worshiped, only God is. A saint could perform miracles, like heal the sick.

JuliaK,
    3/4L

14. Dear 3/4l
    A Saint is smeone who is given a special gift that God asked them to use threw thier life.
    The stages they have to go through before they become a Saint is called canonization. the First thing they have to do is wait a period of time after they have died till the can start envestigating. Once they have waited the period of time they start to look up facts about that person then and that they have always have followed the ways of God throughout there life, then they the Person has to perform a miracle so then they can become a saint but the vatican has to acsept the Person before they become a saint.
    Saints are not worshped we only wor ship God.
    From Cooper 3/4L

15. To Miss Laming,

Saints are people that do special things and serve God. Everyone is a saint.God knew these saints well.It is very hard to become asaint, the process is called canonisation. The saint is researched on. They have to serve god and perform 2 miracles. I learnt that we don’t worship saints, theyassist in our prayers. They deliver your prayers to God.

From MichaelK3/4L

16. Dear 3/4L,

What I leart was,
    A saint is a person that God gave garces to.
    To bcam a saint the bishop must aprove you
    Then you have to pfom two miricols.
    Amasing
    From Natasha3/4L